CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 27, 2012

Retelling TV

I did this last year and posted about it on my old blog.  Click here to see that post!

Back story:  when I was a kid, I would occupy myself by making up a story and creating my own "tv show".  I would pull the long strip of paper through my own "tv".  It kept me entertained and out of trouble.

Last year, for some reason, I got to thinking about it and decided to use it as another way for my students to retell a familiar story.  It was such a hit I just had to do it again this year.

We read Jan Brett's The Mitten.  We have been discussing retelling using the beginning, middle and end, so after reading we made a chart (sorry...didn't get a picture! :( )of the events.  I gave each student 3 boxes.  We drew a scene from the 3 parts in the boxes. 
The students then cut the boxes out, glued them together (with a lot of direction!) and I helped them run it through.  Just a tip...I had them glue a slightly vertical longer strip on the ends to keep them from pulling it completely through. 
Then...it was the series premiere of "The Mitten"!

1 comment:

  1. I have tagged you! Come check it out.

    Samantha
    msbeattie-samantha.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete