CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, December 6, 2013

My 5 Senses and a Snow Day {freebie}!

This week we discussed our 5 senses.  We started with reading Aliki's My Five Senses and put together a Mr. Potato Head as we read the story. During the week, we practiced using our senses A LOT, especially the listening and seeing senses :) Then we set up our Science center so we can make observations and record our findings.  Here's what we're using:

Smelly jars--I found some awesome containers (salt and pepper shakers) at the glorious Dollar Tree that work perfectly for this.  Then I bought some root beer, lemon, orange, and peppermint extract and grabbed the cinnamon and baby powder and coated cotton balls to place inside the containers.  Then I whipped up some matching cards for the students to place the containers on.
Feely bags--I actually found this on Pinterest while looking for some ideas.  I loved it!  You take balloons and fill them with objects for the students to feel.  I also made some matching cards for this as well.
I Spy and Peeky cards--I made a few homemade holiday I Spy cards...
...and some peeky cards inspired by Tana Hoban's The Look Book.  I used enlarged images from Google, cut a hole in a black cover to show a small peek, taped the cover and picture together at one end and secured the other with a velcro dot.
I'm still working on the hearing activity.  My plan is to modify an old AIMS activity and create shakers using plastic Easter eggs (who doesn't have a few dozen lying around??) and students will match pictures of the objects inside to the egg.

In my pocket chart next to my Science center, I placed the sorting cards from my new My 5 Senses packet.  Here's a picture I snapped after some students sorted the pictures.
If you're interested in the pack for your classroom, click on the cover below to go get it from my store!
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/My-Five-Senses-A-Science-Mini-Unit-998975


Well, here in Missouri, the weather saying goes something like this--if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.  It will change.

All week we've been getting the Snowmegedon forecast...freezing rain, sleet, ice and snow.  It was supposed to start yesterday morning around 9 and according to my kiddo's behavior, we had already gotten a few feet when a single flake hadn't fallen.  I woke up this morning to see this--
Just a bit of snow and not seeing a cancellation, I started getting ready.  In the middle of drying my hair, I get the text.  :(  At that point, there was no chance of me going back to sleep, so I started working on a new activity for my kiddos after we return from break.
And yes, you read the cover correctly.  A freebie, but only until tomorrow night.  After that, I will re-post it at a steal-worthy price.  I'm sorry but I'm no longer offering this as a freebie!  Thank you for stopping by my blog.  You can still get this fun activity for cheap...$1.50!  Click on my store button to get it for yourself!
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Let-It-Snow-Let-It-Snow-Let-It-Snow-A-Snow-Day-Vowel-Sort-FREEBIE-1011859





No comments:

Post a Comment